The Northern Ireland Assembly Commissioner for Standards has today launched a new website, designed to help those who wish to make a complaint about Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs).
The new website gives details of what complaints he can deal with, how to make a complaint and the process that will be followed for dealing with complaints he receives. It also gives information on recent updates including statistics on complaints received.
Commissioner for Standards, Douglas Bain said: “The public are entitled to expect a high standard of conduct from their MLAs and to have any Member whose conduct falls below the required standard held to account. I am concerned that some may be unaware of the process for making a complaint against an MLA and of how such a complaint will be dealt with. I am confident that the new website will make it easier for those who have a legitimate complaint against an MLA to have it investigated.”
Notes for Editors
- Douglas Bain is the first Northern Ireland Assembly Commissioner for Standards and started his five year term of office in September 2012.
- The Commissioner’s main function is to investigate complaints that MLAs have broken the provisions of the Code of Conduct and to report his findings to the Committee on Standards and Privileges.
- As shown in the Commissioner’s Annual Reports, which are available on the new website, the number of complaints he receives has declined significantly since 2012.
- Whilst the law prohibits the Commissioner from making public any information about a particular complaint, the new website will provide regular anonymised information on complaints that have been received.
- To contact the Commissioner for Standards please email: [email protected]; telephone 028 9052 1338 or write to: Commissioner for Standards, Room 283, Parliament Buildings, Ballymiscaw, Stormont, Belfast, BT4 3XX.
- The Commissioner for Standards website can be found at: http://standardscommissionerniassembly.org/
- For media enquiries and interview requests, please contact:
The Communications Office
Northern Ireland Assembly
Tel: 028 9052 1405
Email: [email protected]